from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A trap for large animals in which a heavy weight is arranged to fall on and kill or disable the prey.
- n. A mass of fallen timber and tangled brush.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A kind of trap for large animals, consisting of a heavy board or log that falls on to the prey.
- n. deadwood
- n. A cheap, rough saloon or bar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A trap in which a weight is arranged to fall upon and crush the prey, used for large game.
- n. A smaller trap for rats, etc., in which the fall is a loaded board.
- n. A tangled mass of fallen trees and underbrush.
- n. A low drinking- or gaming-place.
From dead + fall. (Wiktionary)