from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a short, broad head with a cephalic index over 80.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a head that is short from front to back (relative to its width from left to right).
- n. A brachycephalic person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the skull short in proportion to its breadth; shortheaded; -- in distinction from
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Short-headed: applied, in ethnology, to heads whose diameter from side to side is not much less than that from front to back, their ratio being as 80 to 100, as those of the Mongolian type; and also to races or individuals having such heads: opposed to dolichocephalic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an adult with a short broad head
- adj. having a short broad head with a cephalic index of over 80
The former is called brachycephalic (short-headed), and the latter dolichocephalic
Short-nosed breeds, known as "brachycephalic" in the dog world, have a skull formation that affects their airways.
Short-nosed breeds - known as "brachycephalic" in the dog world - have a skull formation that affects their airways, said Dan Bandy of Shawnee, Okla., chairman of the Bulldog Club of
Short-nosed breeds - known as "brachycephalic" in the dog world - have a skull formation that affects their airways, said
These flat-facers or nearly so are known officially as brachycephalic dogs, says Ann Hohenhaus, veterinarian and staff oncologist at the Animal Medical Center.
"I wouldn't breed a pug with an English bulldog," he says, because both breeds are brachycephalic, or have pushed-in snouts, which means a tendency for breathing disorders.
The DOT says about 60% of dog deaths aboard airlines are brachycephalic dogs.
Therefore, I'm against any candidate who talks of letting down the bars to stunted brachycephalic South-Italians & rat-faced half-Mongoloid Russian & Polish Jews, & all that cursed scum!
I'd rather think of Lovecraft as the author of "Cool Air" and "Pickman's Model" than as the man who'd consider me stunted brachycephalic rat-faced cursed scum.
At the northern and eastern end of the same line there live the most brachycephalic, orthognathous, straight-haired, yellow-skinned of men — the
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.