from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any action, carried out onstage during a performance, apart from the main action.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Action carried on aside, and commonly in dumb show, while the main action proceeds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a play, action carried on aside, and commonly in dumb show, while the main action proceeds; action not intended to be observed by some of the persons present.
- n. A diversion; something apart from the main purpose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. incidental activity performed by an actor for dramatic effect
by- + play (Wiktionary)