from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Zoology Having chelae or resembling a chela.
- n. Chemistry A chemical compound in the form of a heterocyclic ring, containing a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions.
- transitive v. Chemistry To combine (a metal ion) with a chemical compound to form a ring.
- transitive v. Medicine To remove (a heavy metal, such as lead or mercury) from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, such as EDTA.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having chelae, or in the form of a chela
- n. a chelate compound
- v. (chemistry) to form a chelate compound by combining a metal atom to form a ring
- v. (medicine) to remove heavy metals from the bloodstream using a chelate (such as EDTA)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Same as cheliferous.
- n. a compound formed by combination of a metal ion in solution with a compound containing heteroatoms (such as oxygen or nitrogen), in which at least two heteroatoms are bound to the metal. The bonds may be covalent or non-covalent. Chelates in some cases have very low dissociation constants, and organic compounds (chelating agents) which form such chelates are therefore used to reduce the concentration of free metal ions in solution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a chela; terminated by a chela or forceps-joint.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or characterized by chelation
- n. a heterocyclic compound having a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions
- v. form a chelate, in chemistry
- adj. having or resembling chelae or claws
From chela + -ate. (Wiktionary)