from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that coasts, as:
- n. One who acts in an aimless manner.
- n. A sled or toboggan.
- n. One who rides a sled or toboggan.
- n. Nautical A vessel engaged in coastal trade: "dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smokestack” ( John Masefield).
- n. A roller coaster.
- n. A small mat or plate placed under a vessel to protect a tabletop or other surface beneath.
- n. A small tray, often on wheels, for passing something, such as a wine decanter, around a table.
- n. A resident of a coastal region.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Agent noun of coast: one who coasts.
- n. Something that coasts, such as a sled or toboggan.
- n. A merchant vessel that stays in coastal waters.
- n. A person who originates from or inhabits a coastal area.
- n. A small piece of material used to protect the surface of a table, upon which one places cups or mugs.
- n. A small tray on wheels, used to pass something around a table.
- n. A worthless compact disc or DVD, such as one that was burned incorrectly.
- n. A rollercoaster.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vessel employed in sailing along a coast, or engaged in the coasting trade.
- n. One who sails near the shore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which coasts.
- n. A vessel used in this service; a coasting-vessel.
- n. One engaged in the sport of coasting or sledding.
- n. A teamster who draws supplies to lumberers' shanties.
- n. A low round tray, usually of silver, and formerly on wheels, in which a decanter “coasts” or makes the circuit of a dining-table, for the greater convenience of the company.
- n. An inhabitant of or a dweller near the sea-coast.
- n. A loafer. See coast, v. i., 9.
- n. A name applied to cattle bred on or near the coast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a resident of a coastal area
- n. someone who coasts
- n. a covering (plate or mat) that protects the surface of a table (i.e., from the condensation on a cold glass or bottle)
to coast + -er (Wiktionary)