from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An unforeseen event that disrupts the normal course of things; an inopportune occurrence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unforeseen, inopportune, or embarrassing event; a hitch
- n. An ill-timed pass.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An unexpected and untoward accident; something inopportune or embarrassing; a hitch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An unexpected and untoward event; an embarrassing conjuncture; a “hitch.”
- n. In music, same as syncopation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward clash
French : contre-, against (from Latin contrā-; see contra-) + temps, time (from Latin tempus).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)