American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A weapon consisting of a bow fixed crosswise on a wooden stock, with grooves on the stock to direct the projectile.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A missive weapon formed by a bow fixed athwart a stock in which there is a groove or barrel to direct the missile, a notch or catch to hold the string when the bow is bent, and a trigger to release it; an arbalist. As a weapon of war and the chase, the crossbow was in very general use in Europe during the middle ages. It was unknown as a hand-weapon among the ancients, and rare, though not unknown, among Eastern nations. For a description and cut of the medieval crossbow, see
- n. Figuratively, a crossbowman.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Archery) A weapon, used in discharging arrows or bolts, formed by placing a bow crosswise on a stock.
- n. a bow fixed transversely on a wooden stock grooved to direct the arrow (quarrel)
“Using a crossbow is all good, but if you can physically hunt with a compound than why not.”
“I'd say that between 5-20 yds the crossbow is an efficient tool too kill an animal but outside of 25 yds the crossbow bolt drops like a rock.”
“In my humble opinion, a crossbow is as close to a longbow (the original bow) as a compound bow.”
“Granted I realize that you don't have to hold that weight, but I still think a crossbow is a bow.”
“If you do not think that a crossbow is a real bow that can reach a lot farther than 30 yrds. then you have not used one, have you.”
“Many bowhunters will never be convinced that a crossbow is a bow, and therefore able-bodied hunters who prefer that weapon should have a separate season or a shorter one.”
“I am not saying a crossbow is a good excuse for not practicing, because it is not, and you always need to practice.”
“You don't need one, as a crossbow is a 30 yard proposition.”
“The only problem with putting a scope on a bow or crossbow is that now people will take shots that aren't realistic, longer shots than necessary because they can see a deer or bear through the scope better than with the naked eye.”
“The one problem with a crossbow is that it doesn't have the same kinetic energy of a compound bow at distances longer than 30 yards.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘crossbow’.
being items related to mediaeval warfare, arms and armaments.
words and phrases containing cross
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Just what it says. Archery rocks.
Looking for tweets for crossbow.