from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various bulbous plants of the genus Narcissus, especially N. pseudonarcissus, having showy, usually yellow flowers with a trumpet-shaped central corona.
- n. The flower of this plant.
- n. A brilliant to vivid yellow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a brilliant yellow color, like that of a daffodil.
- n. A bulbous plant, Narcissus pseudonarcissus, with yellow flowers and a trumpet shaped corona; the national flower of Wales.
- n. A brilliant yellow color, like that of a daffodil.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant of the genus Asphodelus.
- n. A plant of the genus Narcissus (Narcissus Pseudo-narcissus). It has a bulbous root and beautiful flowers, usually of a yellow hue. Called also daffodilly, daffadilly, daffadowndilly, daffydowndilly, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of the Narcissus Pseudo-Narcissus, natural order Amaryllidaceæ, of which there are many varieties in cultivation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous varieties of Narcissus plants having showy often yellow flowers with a trumpet-shaped central crown
Alteration of Middle English affodil, from Latin asphodelus, asphodel; see asphodel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ultimately from Latin asphodelus. (Wiktionary)