from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Psychiatry A desire for self-destruction, often accompanied by feelings of depression, hopelessness, and self-reproach.
- n. Psychiatry The desire, often unconscious, for the death of another person, such as a parent, toward whom one has unconscious hostility.
- n. A suicidal urge thought to drive certain people to put themselves consistently into dangerous situations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A desire, especially subconscious, for the death of oneself or of someone else.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (psychoanalysis) an unconscious urge to die
Translation of German Todeswunsch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A calque of German Todeswunsch. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.