from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Postponed or delayed: deferred gratification; deferred military draft.
- adj. Withheld until a future date: deferred benefits; a deferred payment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to delay of an action.
- adj. Of or pertaining to yielding to someone else's decision or judgment.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a value that is not realized until a future date, e.g. annuities, charges, taxes, income, either as an asset or liability.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of defer.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
And I want to emphasize, Larry, if I might this is what they call a deferred emergency and I believe someone said it a few minutes ago, you know.
Short term deferred values increased to $192.5 million up 25% year-over-year.
The FHFA, in consultation with the Treasury Department, approved pay packages that allow for long-term deferred compensation and bonus pay valued at millions in cash.
Hillwood also alleges the Mavericks are on the hook for more than $300 million in deferred compensation payments.
He got a $500,000 raise to $1.35 million annually and will pocket another $1.4 million in deferred pay if he stays through the seven-year term of the agreement.
The companies' regulator, the Federal Housing Finance Agency, in consultation with the Treasury Department, approved pay packages in December 2009 that allow for long-term deferred compensation and bonus pay worth millions in cash.
"A dream once deferred is now being fulfilled," Gov.
The Treasury Department and the FHFA in 2009 approved pay packages that allow for long-term deferred compensation and bonuses pay worth millions in cash, largely because the firms' shares became worthless after the government's takeover.
I agree that tax deferred is not the same thing as tax free, but it's closer.
On the other hand, deferred is a formal agreement typically between the prosecutor, an already-charged defendant, and the Court.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.