from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.
- n. Slang A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is intellectual but generally introverted
- n. One who has an intense, obsessive interest in something.
- n. An unattractive, socially awkward, annoying, undesirable, and/or boring, person; a dork.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or boringly studious
- n. an intelligent but single-minded expert in a particular technical field or profession
Perhaps after Nerd, a character in If I Ran the Zoo, by Theodor Seuss Geisel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)