Did you by any chance mean need?
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.
- n. Slang A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
- n. slang, sometimes derogatory A person who is intellectual but generally introverted
- n. informal, sometimes derogatory One who has an intense, obsessive interest in something.
- n. slang An unattractive, socially awkward, annoying, undesirable, and/or boring, person; a dork.
- n. an insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or boringly studious
- n. an intelligent but single-minded expert in a particular technical field or profession
- Unknown (Wiktionary)
- Perhaps after Nerd, a character in If I Ran the Zoo, by Theodor Seuss Geisel. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I was merrily typing away to friends in some primitive chat room on my IBM XT (super nerd), listening to some music (probably Flock of Seagulls -- nerd++), and watching Back to the Future with the sound off (neeeeerrrrrrrd).”
“By Stephanie Castillo YourTango Whether you're a word nerd or a grammarian's nightmare, a study published in Psychological Science says that people with similar language...”
“My inner word nerd is jumping for joy at the thought of adding this kit to my life.”
“Videoblogger Ze Frank is in what he calls a nerd fight with Rocketboom producer Andrew Baron.”
“However sitting in front of a client and telling them they are idiots and they don't know what they are doing and what I call nerd flexing in front of them never goes over well.”
“Babylon 5 which I consider one of the great series ... because it DOES have a logical and plotted progression ... still ends with that "noble sacrifice" business so popular in nerd-world.”
“However, I feel that nerd is the wrong choice of words and something like geek would be better.”
“Daran's guide doesn't include party conference resident bloggers, but it can only be a matter of time before the smug nerd is added to his A-Z.”
“Being niche, being geeky, being a nerd is something we have to accept about ourselves, and revel in it.”
“This nerd is hated by all (and evidently there is nothing wrong with this in Tanya Huff's world), and nearly unleashes unspeakable horrors on the world before he is defeated.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nerd’.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
A rich collection of all the ways you can insult someone's intelligence.
I marvel at the amazing variety of four-letter words in the English language. And that's not even counting really common (to me) words like fuck.
My big word list.
some of my favorite words
Words that sound like what they mean, but they're not *technically* onomatopoetic.
(another edit: this list is morphing into something I can't quite describe. But I still like it.)
short, sweet, epic, catchy, sassy, sexy & sizzling.
( personal list, randomness )
Looking for tweets for nerd.