American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The study of demons.
- n. Belief in or worship of demons.
- n. A list or catalog of one's enemies: "As the years passed [the magazine's] demonology expanded to include Bolsheviks, radicals, Franklin D. Roosevelt, the New Deal, Government work programs or aid programs of any kind” ( Maggie Nichols).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A discourse or treatise on demons; an account of evil spirits and their character, agency, etc.
- n. The study of popular superstitions concerning demons or evil spirits.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A treatise on demons; a supposititious science which treats of demons and their manifestations.
- From demon + -logy. (Wiktionary)
“Perhaps the "other-side-of-the-pond" use of "demonology" is one I've not picked up.”
“Never mind that a warlock on a battlefield — even a Level 80 warlock with a dual talent specialization in demonology and destruction — is a bit like a bug on a windshield.”
“Abbadon: in demonology, was chief of the demons of the seventh hierarchy.”
“The Thaumaturgy of both is the same: the Indian is profuse in demonology and witchcraft; in transformation and restoration; in monsters as wind-men, fire-men and water-men, in air-going elephants and flying horses (i.”
“At first, my goal had been to write out a precise 'demonology' of television using elements from Greek mythology as a teaching tool for my Media Violence class that could be developed into a workbook of sorts.”
“And the great irony of this allegedly rationalist protest against the pope is that it is indulging in precisely the kind of demonology that the Catholic Church once excelled at.”
“They may have overstressed attempts to map energy flows to biological mechanisms, and ignored the "demonology" that may be the TCM equivalent of psychosomatic medicine.”
“As a matter of fact it would be false logic to try to explain the evolution of demonology, which is above everything else religious, by the development of the philosophic theories of the Greeks (see for instance the communications of Messrs. Stock and”
“But we must go still further; there is a modern system of thaumaturgy and demonology which is just as well certified as the ancient. [”
“Your use of demonology strikes me as the same thing, that the problems that most people are concerned with don't really exist.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘demonology’.
Sci-fi ☠ 509
Looking for tweets for demonology.