from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ground spiced chickpeas shaped into balls and fried.
- n. A sandwich filled with such a mixture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Middle Eastern food in the form of balls made from chickpeas and other ingredients. Often served in a pita.
- n. A pita with falafel balls inside.
- n. A single falafel ball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small croquette of mashed chick peas or fava beans seasoned with sesame seeds
Arabic falāfil, pl. of filfil, pepper, probably from Sanskrit pippalī; see pepper.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Arabic فلافل (falaafil), the plural of فلفل (filfil, "pepper"). (Wiktionary)