from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A boat used to ferry passengers, vehicles, or goods.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A boat used to ferry passengers, vehicles, or goods across open water, especially one that runs to a regular schedule
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vessel for conveying passengers, merchandise, etc., usually across streams, rivers, bays, and other narrow waters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vessel or boat moved by steam, sails, oars or sweeps, a towline, or the force of a current, used to convey passengers, vehicles, cattle, etc., across a river, harbor, or other contracted waterway between opposite shores.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a boat that transports people or vehicles across a body of water and operates on a regular schedule
ferry + boat (Wiktionary)