from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person not in slavery or serfdom.
- n. One who possesses the rights or privileges of a citizen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A free man, one who is not a serf or slave.
- n. or ceremonial A person awarded or inheriting the freedom, with any attached privileges, of a borough or city.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who enjoys liberty, or who is not subject to the will of another; one not a slave or vassal.
- n. A member of a corporation, company, or city, possessing certain privileges; a member of a borough, town, or State, who has the right to vote at elections. See Liveryman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man who is free; one who enjoys liberty, or who is not subject to the will of another; one not a slave or a vassal.
- n. One who enjoys or is entitled to citizenship, franchise, or other peculiar privilege: as, a freeman of a city or state. In olden times the position of such a freeman gave the right to trade in the place.
- n. In early English history, a ceorl; one admitted to a share in the land and corporate life of the village community.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who is not a serf or a slave
free + -man (Wiktionary)