from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various brown algae of the genus Fucus, which includes many of the rockweeds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any alga of the genus Fucus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A paint; a dye; also, false show.
- n. A genus of tough, leathery seaweeds, usually of a dull brownish green color; rockweed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A paint; a dye; especially, a paint for the face; rouge; hence, a disguise; a pretense; a sham.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of Fucaceæ, characterized by dichotomously branching fronds in which there is no distinction of stem and leaves, and which are provided with a midrib and often with air-bladders.
- n. Pl. fuci (fū ′ -sī). Any fucaceous seaweed.
- To paint; dye.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any member of the genus Fucus
Latin fūcus, seaweed, orchil, from Greek phūkos.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin, from Ancient Greek. (Wiktionary)