from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. A variant of hello
- interj. A cry of surprise.
- n. The cry "hallo!"
- n. A shout of exultation.
- v. To shout, or to call with a loud voice.
- v. To chase while shouting "hallo!"
- v. To cry "hallo" (to someone).
- v. To shout (something).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An exclamation used to call attention: same as hello, hullo, now more common colloquially, and as halloo, which differs more in pronunciation and use. See hello and halloo.
- To call or shout to; incite with cries.
From Middle English halou, halow, halloo (interjection used to call attention), representing Old English hēlā, ǣlā, ēalā ("O!, alas!, oh!, lo!"), equivalent to hey + lo. (Wiktionary)