from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Alternative form of heal.
- v. To hide or conceal; keep secret; cover.
- v. To cover with or in (slates, tiles, etc.); roof.
- v. To practise concealment; keep a secret; keep silence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Health; welfare.
- transitive v. To hide; to cover; to roof.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Middle English form of heal.
- A Middle English form of heal.
From Middle English helen, helien, from Old English helan ("to conceal, cover, hide", strong verb) and helian ("to conceal, cover, hide", weak verb), from Proto-Germanic *helanan (“to conceal, stash, receive stolen goods”), *haljanan (“to hull, conceal”), both from Proto-Indo-European *kel- (“to hide”). Cognate with Scots heal ("to cover, hide, conceal"), Eastern Frisian hela ("to conceal"), Dutch helen ("to conceal"), German hehlen ("to conceal"). More at heal. (Wiktionary)