American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Coarse bread, generally in the form of thin cake, made of Indian meal, water, and salt: originally that cooked on the broad, thin blade of a cotton-field hoe.
- n. dated, Southern US A type of cornbread or cornmeal cake, made of water and salt. It was originally baked before the fire or in the ashes on a hoe, now it is fried in cooking oil in a skillet.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Southern U.S. A cake of Indian meal, water, and salt, baked before the fire or in the ashes; -- so called because often cooked on a hoe.
- n. thin usually unleavened johnnycake made of cornmeal; originally baked on the blade of a hoe over an open fire (southern)
- So called because the cake was often cooked on a hoe. (Wiktionary)
- Possibly because it was sometimes baked on the blade of a hoe. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This recipe is a take on the Southern hoecake, which is often made only with cornmeal.”
“Yes, mam, de spider got three legs dat it sets on en de griddle, dat what I makes dese little thin kind of hoecake on.”
“But they started to cook with it, beginning with native fry cake, which they called hoe bread or hoecake.”
“I have been wondering for nearly 4 years what a hoecake was.”
“How did I get to be 71 years old without eating a single hoecake?”
“Ingredients in Paula Deen's hoecake mix: yellow cornmeal, unbleached flour, buttermilk, sugar, baking powder”
“I have a Paula Dean hoecake mix, I guess I have to make it now.”
“I've never had a hoecake but always wanted to try them ... what a perfect way to eat them!”
“There's not that big of a gap between a piece of fried chicken and a waffle and chicken with a biscuit or a hoecake.”
“He finished his last hoecake, wiped his hands on his pants, went out behind a tree himself, then walked back into the schoolroom and resumed lessons.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hoecake’.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Types of bread & breadmaking terms. Mainly I'm looking for plain or savoury breads but I'll accept the sweet-ish ones as long as they are more bread than cake :-)
It isn't all about fucking cocksuckers. There aren't too many shows on TV that use Wordie words. (So of course it was cancelled.)
Best viewed in cloud format.
Words gatherd while reading The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.
Types of bread products
Looking for tweets for hoecake.