from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various extinct fishlike marine reptiles of the order Ichthyosauria of the Triassic period to the Cretaceous Period.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An extinct genus of marine reptiles; -- so named from their short, biconcave vertebræ, resembling those of fishes. Several species, varying in length from ten to thirty feet, are known from the Liassic, Oölitic, and Cretaceous formations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of Ichthyosauridæ. I. communis is one of the earliest- and best-known species.
- n. [l. c.; pl. ichthyosauri (-rī).] A species of the genus Ichthyosaurus; an ichthyosaur.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. ichthyosaurs of the Jurassic
From ichthyo- + saurus. (Wiktionary)