Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of Ichthyosauridæ. I. communis is one of the earliest- and best-known species.
- n. [l. c.; pl. ichthyosauri (-rī).] A species of the genus Ichthyosaurus; an ichthyosaur.
- n. Any of various extinct fishlike marine reptiles of the order Ichthyosauria of the Triassic period to the Cretaceous Period.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Paleon.) An extinct genus of marine reptiles; -- so named from their short, biconcave vertebræ, resembling those of fishes. Several species, varying in length from ten to thirty feet, are known from the Liassic, Oölitic, and Cretaceous formations.
- n. ichthyosaurs of the Jurassic
- From ichthyo- + saurus. (Wiktionary)
“The animal to which the name ichthyosaurus has been given, was as long as a young whale, and it was fitted for living in the water, though breathing the atmosphere.”
“These diagrams of the plesiosaurus, the ichthyosaurus, the pterodactyle, give you a notion of some of these extinct reptiles.”
“And here is a cast of the pterodactyle and bones of the ichthyosaurus and the plesiosaurus, just as fresh as if it had been recently dug up in a churchyard.”
“Some authorities think it was an ichthyosaurus, but there is much doubt.”
“As for the ichthyosaurus — has he returned to his submarine cavern? or will he reappear on the surface of the sea?”
“Suddenly the ichthyosaurus and the plesiosaurus disappear below, leaving a whirlpool eddying in the water.”
“This frightful mask of electric sparks suggests to me, even in this dizzy excitement, a comparison with preadamite man, the contemporary of the ichthyosaurus and the megatherium.”
“I can distinguish the eye of the ichthyosaurus glowing like”
“Thus the chalk contains remains of those strange flying and swimming reptiles, the pterodactyl, the ichthyosaurus, and the plesiosaurus, which are found in no later deposits, but abounded in preceding ages.”
“A deadened burst of mighty splashes and snorb reached us from afar, as though an ichthyosaurus had been taking a bath of glitter in the great river.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ichthyosaurus’.
From the story by Jules Verne.
Not dinosaurs, which have their own list. These are all Not Dinosaurs, but they are not not-dinosaury-enough to be on the Not Dinosaurs list.
Includes pterosaurs, ichthyosaurs, plesios...
Words gathered while reading works of Joseph Conrad.
Looking for tweets for ichthyosaurus.