from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An element in a mixture or compound. See Synonyms at element.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of the substances present in a mixture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Entering as, or forming, an ingredient or component part.
- n. That which enters into a compound, or is a component part of any combination, recipe, or mixture; an element; a constituent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Entering as a component part; constituent.
- n. A person entering; an incomer.
- n. That which enters into a compound, or is a component part of a compound or mixture; one of the elements of a combination or composition, as a dish, drink, or medicine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. food that is a component of a mixture in cooking
- n. a component of a mixture or compound
- n. an abstract part of something
Vorbeck Materials Corp., of Jessup, Md., makes a conductive ink for printed electronics whose main ingredient is graphene.
SAN FRANCISCO — A California proposal to outlaw the title ingredient in shark fin soup, a traditional Chinese delicacy, has turned into a recipe for controversy in San Francisco, a city that is nearly one-third Asian and home to the nation's oldest Chinatown.
When you make lip balm or home made lipsticks, a main ingredient is wax (typically beeswax).
The main ingredient is chamomile, which is a relaxant/sleep aid.
I do know the main ingredient is commonly used in vet medications.
Anything they offer with shrimp as the main ingredient is a winner.
Was the title ingredient stronger, perhaps the composition would have been less "thick" and cloying and less reminiscent of Chinatown.
If you're going to serve a dish called "Mozzarella," the title ingredient should be a pretty good specimen.
This ingredient is a special kind of pepper called "ají".
'In every inordinate cup the ingredient is a devil' - even in an inordinate cup of innocent milk.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.