American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A medieval Scandinavian chieftain or nobleman.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Scandinavian history: A man of noble birth; a nobleman.
- n. A chief; as a title, an earl; a count. The name was used both as a family title and as an official designation. In Iceland, practically a republican commonwealth, it never took root.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A chief; an earl; in English history, one of the leaders in the Danish and Norse invasions.
- From Old Norse jarl. Cognates include Old English eorl (English earl). (Wiktionary)
- Old Norse. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And south I went, when the ice passed out of the fjord, in jarl”
“Brunanbuhr and the Juts who came as friends with the jarl Agard in his three long ships.”
“And the jarl Agard's steel was out, and his Juts joining him as he shouted:”
“But the jarl would have it no, and clapped Lodbrog on the shoulder, and asked me as a gift of friendship.”
“Count Thyssen along with Northern Bizogot clan jarl Trasamund led an expedition beyond the glacier to explore the land the glacier and find the mythical Golden Shrine but soon return to the capital of Nidaris to rally the Raumsdalian forces against the invincible Rulers.”
“As the oldest son of a jarl, Njall is to become jarl himself one day.”
“Did the rebels not overthrow Toki soon, Johen would swear his allegiance to the New Danish jarl.”
“Killing Johen would result in Hannu throwing its allegiance toward New Daneland, but the jarl of New Sweden was known for his idiocy.”
“The Revolution had been won less than two fortnights ago, the old, corrupt jarl dead and deposed.”
“Not that talking to the jarl would do them any good, Johen thought, disgruntled.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘jarl’.
Oh, that little smiling teacher tile in my Scrabble app. He teaches me so much.
A list of all known Heroic Classes available to players of the game Sburb within the Homestuck universe, as well as any other words I can think of which would theoretically adhere to the known guid...
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
About leaders, particularly the authority-figure at the top of the tree.
Because I couldn't think of any the other day, I thought of some now.
Noble, leadership and ranking titles.
Looking for tweets for jarl.