from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commissioned officer in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Navy assigned to the Judge Advocate General's Corps.
- n. A staff officer serving as legal adviser to a commander.
- n. An officer acting as prosecutor at a court-martial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A commissioned officer acting as a lawyer to advise a court martial on points of law or to act as prosecutor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See under Judge.
- n. a person appointed to act as prosecutor at a court-martial; he acts as the representative of the government, as the responsible adviser of the court, and also, to a certain extent, as counsel for the accused, when he has no other counsel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See advocate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer assigned to the judge advocate general
- n. a staff officer serving as legal adviser to a military commander
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.