from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Movement or activity of an organism in response to a stimulus such as light.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the movement of an organism in response to an external stimulus
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any manifestation of dynamic energy.
- n. In cytology, a short expression for karyokinesis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a movement that is a response to a stimulus but is not oriented with respect to the source of stimulation
Greek kīnēsis, movement, from kīnein, to move; see kei-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek κίνησις (kinēsis, "motion, movement"). (Wiktionary)