from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of knockoff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. That knocks off; of or pertaining to knocking off.
- n. Act or place of knocking off; that which knocks off
- n. A knockoff.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The device by which the loops of yarn are knocked off or drawn over the ends of the needles in a knitting-machine.
- n. In mech., a releasing device; a tappet or cam for releasing some part of a mechanism. It is used in some forms of engine valve-gears to operate the admission-valves.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
On other commercial issues, the U.S. is pressing China to provide a specific plan for how government agencies and state-owned businesses will buy legitimate software, not knock-off versions.
He then graduated from this to the Lincoln Newspaper Syndicate working on knock-off comic strips.
The two minute plus clip shows that this series is definitely not the Jericho knock-off that many thought it would be.
Stan Lee was known as a hack writer producing mostly second-rate, knock-off stories for the struggling Atlas line of comics.
Overall, The Listener has its moments, but it needs to rise above the formulaic procedural stories to become anything more than a derivative television knock-off.
His work became synonymous with comic fantasy, and he seemingly illustrated every sub-par Pratchett knock-off on the shelves, but we weren't fooled - oh, no.
And Lorne Greene played Adama as if he was starring in a Biblical epic and not a Star Wars knock-off.
And the imagery looks like something lifted from a cheap final fantasy knock-off.
Do I care what your 18th Century knock-off of the Declaration of Arbroath had to say about art in an era before mass-production, global capitalism and American corporate imperialism?
Like you, I pretty much gave up on “High Fantasy” after dozing through the tenth or twentieth Tolkien knock-off.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.