from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A noncommissioned rank in the U.S. Marine Corps that is above private first class and below corporal.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An enlisted rank of grade E-3 in the United States Marine Corps, ranking above private first class and below corporal. Abbreviated as LCpl.
- n. A non-commissioned officer in the British Army and Royal Marines, ranking above private and below corporal. A rank with NATO code OR-3.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an assistant corporal on private's pay.
- n. same as Lancepesade.
- n. A lancepesade.
- n. An enlisted member of the United States Marine Corps ranking between a private first class and a corporal.
- n. The lowest rank of corporal; -- a term used in the British military.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Milit., a private performing the duties of a corporal, with temporary rank as such.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an enlisted man in the marine corps ranking above a private first class and below a corporal
From lancepesade, from obsolete French lancepessade, from Italian lancia spezzata, superior soldier : lancia, lance (from Latin lancea; see lance) + spezzata, feminine past participle of spezzare, to break to pieces (Latin dis-, apart; see dis- + pezza, piece from Medieval Latin pecia, piece, from Vulgar Latin *pettia).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)