from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of sighting or reaching land after a voyage or flight.
- n. The land sighted or reached after a voyage or flight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Arrival at the shore by ship.
- n. The point at which a hurricane or similar storm reaches land.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sudden transference of property in land by the death of its owner.
- n. Sighting or making land when at sea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A land-slide or land-slip.
- n. Nautical, an approach or a coming to land, in the course or at the end of a sea-voyage; also, land so approached or reached.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the first sighting of land from the sea after a voyage (or flight over water)
- n. the seacoast first sighted on a voyage (or flight over water)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Forecasters said the likelihood that Alberto will become a hurricane prior to landfall is decreasing.
Do all you liberals actually think that a hurricane making landfall is reason for every Republican in America to drop what they are doing, clear their agendas and rush to the site of the destruction?
Now, while I’ll be the first to admit that hurricanes are lethal and forewarning of possible landfall is more than helpful, the constant firing of distress signals by the media tends to dull our fears.
And we make landfall, which is -- which means that the center of the eye makes landfall, touches land somewhere.
MYERS: Well, I think we can -- we can safely call landfall now, Tony.
The media riot that followed the Katrina landfall was a disgrace to your profession.
So the storm could strengthen to a category five long before landfall, which is expected at 2: 00 a.m. Tuesday and south of Cancun and Cozumel, north of the Honduras and north of the Belize/Mexico border.
Because even far away from the forecast track landfall, which is pretty far to the south of here, they're going to easy get winds of (INAUDIBLE) if not hurricane force.
The area where the hurricane made landfall, which is across the border in Nicaragua, we spoke to a person there, the minister of health, who is there holed up in a hospital.
This really what it does is allows federal funds, supplies, resources, people to be in place in Texas, even before this makes landfall, which is really a great advantage, a criteria that has to be met.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.