from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of sighting or reaching land after a voyage or flight.
- n. The land sighted or reached after a voyage or flight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Arrival at the shore by ship.
- n. The point at which a hurricane or similar storm reaches land.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sudden transference of property in land by the death of its owner.
- n. Sighting or making land when at sea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A land-slide or land-slip.
- n. Nautical, an approach or a coming to land, in the course or at the end of a sea-voyage; also, land so approached or reached.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the first sighting of land from the sea after a voyage (or flight over water)
- n. the seacoast first sighted on a voyage (or flight over water)
Sorry, no etymologies found.