from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A set of clothing and bedding for a newborn child.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a complete set of clothing etc for a new baby
- n. an ERO (equipment repair order) parts bin in the United States Marine Corps, when discussing maintenance management and repair parts management. When conducting maintenance on a piece of equipment, or vehicle, parts are ordered. When parts come in they are placed into the bins until all the parts arrive, and then they are signed for by a mechanic and applied to the equipment, or vehicle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The outfit of clothing, blankets, etc., prepared for a newborn infant, and placed ready for use.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A complete outfit for a new-born child, including garments, toilet articles, cradle or bassinet, and bedding.
- n. A three-sided tray or box without a cover, used to carry powder from one mortar to another in powder-mills.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. kit consisting of a complete outfit (clothing and accessories) for a new baby
Sometimes the layette is the only gift the women receive.
Each infant receives a layette, which is hand-assembled by executive director and founder
I accepted my fear, my ignorance, my anxieties - indicated by the fact that I did not know what the term "layette" meant.
She even planned to take the infant on a reporting trip to war-torn Saigon—she had bought a parasol and a layette, what else would be needed?
Planning to take the infant on a reporting trip to war-torn Saigon—she bought a parasol and a layette, what else would be needed?.
Smoking calms nerves, and I've never been more nervous than I am about this baby: how he's doing in there, how he is going to get out, when I'm going to ascertain the meaning of the word "layette."
If the super-chic Carla does become a mom again, the layette will doubtless be luxurious.
Always on trend, this is the one-stop shop for clothing, accessories and shoes, from layette to adult.
Iplan to proposethe global baby layette as part of my circle's next project for the next knitter who is pregnant we are a fecund group.
Little bitch, I thought, because in fact Lea had gone to Bonpoint and purchased, in both our names, an extravagant layette.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.