from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps that is above major and below colonel.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An army officer in most countries, ranking below a colonel and above a major. Often the commander of a battalion or the executive officer of a regiment.
- n. An officer in the United States Marine Corps or Royal Marines, of equivalent rank to their counterparts in the army.
- n. An officer in the United States Air Force, Air Force Reserve, or Air National Guard, ranking below colonel and above major. Often the commander of a squadron or the executive officer of a wing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an army officer next in rank above major, and below colonel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A military officer next in rank below a colonel, and in some European armies commonly the actual commander of a regiment, the colonelship being honorary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a commissioned officer in the United States Army or Air Force or Marines holding a rank above major and below colonel
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.