from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An elected official ranking just below the governor of a state in the United States.
- n. The nonelective chief of government of a Canadian province.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The representative of the Crown in the provincial legislatures of Canada.
- n. The next-in-line to the chief executive of a primary political division of the United States of America, such as a state, second to the governor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A deputy governor acting as the chief civil officer of one of several colonies under a governor general.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer authorized to perform the functions of a governor in case of the absence, disability, or death of the latter, or in a subordinate governorship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an elected official serving as deputy to the governor of a state of the United States
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.