from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A liquid, C10H16, with a characteristic lemonlike fragrance, used as a solvent, wetting agent, and dispersing agent and in the manufacture of resins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A monoterpene hydrocarbon 1-methyl-4-prop-1-en-2-yl-cyclohexene found in the essential oils of oranges, lemons and similar fruit, and mainly responsible for their fragrance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a liquid terpene with a lemon odor; found in lemons and oranges and other essential oils.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A general term applied to certain terpenes, C10H16.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a liquid terpene with a lemon odor; found in lemons and oranges and other essential oils
French limonène, from limon, lemon (obsolete), from Old French; see lemon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)