from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Calmness in the face of suffering and adversity; forbearance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Patience or tolerance in the face of adversity; forbearance, long-suffering.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Disposition to bear injuries patiently; forbearance; patience.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Long-suffering; patience; endurance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. good-natured tolerance of delay or incompetence
Middle English longanimite, from Old French, from Late Latin longanimitās, from longanimis, patient : Latin longus, long; see longitude + Latin animus, mind, reason; see anə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin longanimitātem, from longanimus, translating Ancient Greek μακροθυμία. (Wiktionary)