from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various ritualistic geometric designs symbolic of the universe, used in Hinduism and Buddhism as an aid to meditation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A graphic depiction of the spiritual universe and its myriad realms and deities.
- n. Any ritualistic geometric design, symbolic of the Universe, used as an aid to meditation.
- n. A division or book of the Rigveda (of which there are 10).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various geometric designs (usually circular) symbolizing the universe; used chiefly in Hinduism and Buddhism as an aid to meditation
Sanskrit maṇḍalam, circle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Sanskrit मण्डल (máṇḍala). (Wiktionary)