American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To perform an act of masturbation.
- v. To perform an act of masturbation on.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To commit self-abuse.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To achieve sexual gratification by stimulating one's own sexual organs, without the aid of a partner; -- typically to the point of orgasm.
- v. stimulate sexually
- v. get sexual gratification through self-stimulation
- Derivation uncertain; one suggestion is Latin masturbare, from mas, from manus ("hand") + turbare ("to throw into disorder"), whence the words disturb and trouble. (Wiktionary)
- Latin masturbārī, masturbāt-. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If Ratzinger wants to stay in Italy and scare school kids by telling them God is watching when they French kiss or masturbate, that is his sexual silliness.”
“I stick my fingers in my butt when I masturbate, which is several times a day.”
“In Sunday's Observer, Baroness Warnock urged men who couldn't get sex for free to masturbate, which is not quite how it probably strikes the average punter.”
“One of the easiest ways to masturbate is to refrain from touching the shaft and focusing on the foreskin instead.”
“Lee, citing the support of PETA, expressed confusion and outrage over SeaWorld's latest decision, claiming trainers "masturbate" the whale with "a cow's vagina filled with hot water.”
“Because, while it's perfectly all right for men to "masturbate," women doing approximately the same thing are now "cultivating" themselves, according to the good doctor.”
“I think Grant Morrison was also forbidden to use the word "masturbate" in Arkham Asylum, even though he used it in the clinical sense.”
“First off, please note as commenter Jack Fear noted, and I probably should mention that the editor most likely only meant that you can't SAY "masturbate" in comics.”
“On the other hand, it's sort of fun to imagine the kid asking Dad what "masturbate" means, isn't it?”
“Work-safe, for the most part, except for the term "masturbate" used a couple times.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘masturbate’.
All these terms have a (different) American English equivalent. Wonder if you can identify them?
Looking for tweets for masturbate.