from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To perform an act of masturbation.
- transitive v. To perform an act of masturbation on.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To stimulate oneself sexually, especially by use of one’s hand, sometimes with a partner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To achieve sexual gratification by stimulating one's own sexual organs, without the aid of a partner; -- typically to the point of orgasm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To commit self-abuse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. stimulate sexually
- v. get sexual gratification through self-stimulation
Latin masturbārī, masturbāt-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Derivation uncertain; one suggestion is Latin masturbare, from mas, from manus ("hand") + turbare ("to throw into disorder"), whence the words disturb and trouble. (Wiktionary)