from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Monastic life or practices.
- n. Monks considered as a group.
- n. A monastery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the practices of monks; the way of life, behavior, etc. characteristic of monks; monastic life
- n. monasticism
- n. a monastery
- n. monks, considered as a group. (cf clergy, laity)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The life of monks; monastic life; monastic usage or customs; -- now usually applied by way of reproach.
- n. A collective body of monks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Monasticism, or the practices of monks: generally opprobrious.
- n. A monastery, or the inhabitants of a monastery.
- n. The country or rural districts; also, in a collective sense, tramps or vagrants.
From monk + -ery. (Wiktionary)