American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To pass on or delegate to another: The senator devolved the duties of office upon a group of aides.
- v. Archaic To cause to roll onward or downward.
- v. To be passed on or transferred to another: The burden of proof devolved upon the defendant. The estate devolved to an unlikely heir.
- v. To degenerate or deteriorate gradually: After several hours the discussion had devolved into a shouting match.
- v. Archaic To roll onward or downward.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To roll downward or onward.
- To transfer, as from one person to another; turn over; transmit.
- To roll down; come or arrive by rolling down or onward.
- To be transferred or transmitted; pass from one to another; fall by succession or transference.
- To degenerate.
- v. transitive to delegate something to someone else
- v. intransitive to be inherited by someone; to come into the hands of
- v. intransitive to slowly degrade
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To roll onward or downward; to pass on.
- v. To transfer from one person to another; to deliver over; to hand down; -- generally with
upon, sometimes with toor into.
- v. To pass by transmission or succession; to be handed over or down; -- generally with
onor upon, sometimes with toor into.
- v. grow worse
- v. be inherited by
- v. pass on or delegate to another
- From Latin dēvolvō ("roll or tumble off or down"), from dē + volvō ("roll"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English devolven, to transfer, from Old French devolver, to confer, ascribe, from Latin dēvolvere, to roll down, fall to : dē-, de- + volvere, to roll; see wel-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He didn't use the word devolve'' and he's coming off a heroic performance in Detroit, but that's the deal.”
“Will a new McCarthyism devolve from the current "Tea-Party" movement that exists only to attempt to deny the fact that Barack Obama is in fact a United States Citizen and has legitimately been elected President of all Americans?”
“I don't mean to have this call devolve into a 'relationship' call," Davis said, before leading the pack of journalists down precisely that trail -- bringing up (and distorting) Obama's description of Bill Ayers as "just one of my friends in the neighborhood.”
“Learn from it and never again devolve into this shameful mockery of justice.”
“I don't mean to have this call devolve into a 'relationship' call," Davis said, before leading the pack of journalists down precisely that trail -- bringing up and distorting Obama's description of Bill Ayers as "just one of my friends in the neighborhood.”
“But it is not our ambition to devolve from the centre those resources and responsibilities necessary to protect and advance our nationwide economy.”
“But clearly Internet needs to "devolve" to a human scale since it is not just going away.”
“You know, we've seen instances of people, you know, handing out food or handing out bottles of water, and all of a sudden, it can very quickly kind of devolve into something else.”
“And I was really happy that you see her kind of devolve into her own chaos and struggle with this choice.”
“The Absolute deliberately created high forms of life, arch-angels, and higher than these -- gods in fact -- and then caused them to "devolve" until the lowest state was reached.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘devolve’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
words that kick ass, in the non-literal sense
Verbs meaning unwind or unroll
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
mostly from magoosh
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for devolve.