American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A unicycle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vehicle with one wheel: used figuratively in the quotation.
- n. In biology, the type of individual or racial development which consists of but a single cycle: opposed to polycycle.
- n. A unicycle or monowheel; often specifically a unicycle with the rider seated inside the wheel.
- n. organic chemistry An aromatic compound containing a single ring.
- n. communication The first derivative of a Gaussian, often used as an impulse signal.
- n. a vehicle with a single wheel that is driven by pedals
- mono- + cycle, thus literally "one wheel." (Wiktionary)
“He is wearing shades, has curly hair and is riding a monocycle.”
“One of the bits of technology from the Stainless Steel Rat books which always sticks in my head is the ‘monocycle’ which made an appearance in the original 1957 story:”
“Back in November 2003 Forbes. com posted a story about a concept for a monocycle, created by Quebec-based Bombardier Recreational Products, makers of ATVs, skidoos, and such.”
“Today on Boing Boing Gadgets, we played with a cheap retro console clone; imagined riding the NOAH concept monocycle; listened as a Roboclarinet played "Flight of the Bumblebee"; and gaped at”
“We bumped into on of our cubs - Holly who was getting wobbly on the monocycle!”
“Though I think the monocycle is impractical, I also find it very beautiful.”
“MetaFilter: The Wheelsurf is a motorised monocycle powered by a chainsaw engine.”
“He guided his monocycle carefully, counterbalancing with his body when its motions sent it into twists of precession; incorrectly handled, these machines could dump a man in a hurry, since the precession operated at right angles to the force applied.”
“And a gyro monocycle, an all-band transceiver, and an information watch.”
“And then the treads lifted, and he saw the monstrous gas-spreading tubes at the stern, and the exhaust-pipes into which he could have ridden, monocycle and all.”
‘monocycle’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for monocycle.