from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A square board with a handle used for holding and carrying masonry mortar.
- n. An academic cap topped by a flat square.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A square board, with a handle, on which mortar or plaster is carried: a hawk.
- n. An academic cap that has a flat square top with a tassel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small square board with a handle beneath, for holding mortar; a hawk; used by masons to hold or carry mortar.
- n. An academic cap topped by broad, projecting, stiff and flat square top, with a tassel attached to the top and hanging down. It was once worn by students in some colleges, but is now worn usually only at graduation ceremonies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A board, generally square, used by masons to hold mortar for plastering.
- n. A square-crowned academic cap.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a square board with a handle underneath; used by masons to hold or carry mortar
- n. an academic cap with a flat square with a tassel on top
Sorry, no etymologies found.