from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cloud of smoke and debris shaped like a mushroom, especially one created by the detonation of a nuclear bomb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large, mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke, flame and debris that rises into the sky as a result of a large explosion, especially after a nuclear explosion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a cloud of smoke rising and then spreading laterally to take on the shape of a mushroom -- caused by large fires or explosions, esp. nuclear explosions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cloud, specifically an ascending cloud, which spreads outward and downward at the top in a form resembling that of a mushroom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large cloud of rubble and dust shaped like a mushroom and rising into the sky after an explosion (especially of a nuclear bomb)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.