from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A beverage of wine, hot water, lemon juice, sugar, and nutmeg.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A drink of wine, lemon, sugar, nutmeg and hot water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A beverage made of wine, water, sugar, nutmeg, and lemon juice; -- so called, it is said, from its first maker, Colonel Negus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mild warm punch of wine (properly port), made with a little lemon and not much sugar.
- n. The title of the kings of Abyssinia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wine and hot water with sugar and lemon juice and nutmeg
After Francis Negus (died 1732), English army officer.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Named from Colonel Francis Negus (died 1732), its creator. (Wiktionary)