from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An herbal infusion or similar preparation drunk as a beverage or for its mildly medicinal effect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medicinal drink made from barley soaked in water
- n. Any infusion or drink, especially medicinal or curative, made by steeping in hot water; a herbal tea
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See ptisan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A decoction with medicinal properties. Compare ptisan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. infusion of e.g. dried or fresh flowers or leaves
French, barley water, from Old French, from Latin ptisana, tisana; see ptisan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French ptisane, tisane, from Ancient Greek πτισάνη (ptisanē, "peeled barley, barley-water"). (Wiktionary)