from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rare, inert gaseous element occurring in the atmosphere to the extent of 18 parts per million and obtained by fractional distillation of liquid air. It is colorless but glows reddish orange in an electric discharge and is used in display and television tubes. Atomic number 10; atomic weight 20.180; melting point -248.67°C; boiling point -245.95°C. See Table at element.
- n. A neon tetra.
- n. An extremely bright color.
- adj. Extremely bright or vivid; fluorescent: neon purple.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The chemical element (symbol Ne) with an atomic number of 10.
- n. A form or sample of the element.
- n. neon signs, collectively.
- n. a neon tetra fish
- adj. Extremely bright; fluorescent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An elementary substance occurring in gaseous form in the earth's atmosphere: atomic weight, 20.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a colorless odorless gaseous element that give a red glow in a vacuum tube; one of the six inert gasses; occurs in the air in small amounts
The metaphorical way you use the phrase 'neon sign' is for something unmissable, like, 'What do you need, a neon sign?'
As CVPCS says, If you see the word neon on the Features line, then your device supports NEON extensions.
The sign is hand painted and below it, in neon, reads two words: “Bar Restaurant” – need we say more?
Oursler's online installation presents the viewer with a digital map, scrawled in neon writing, which directs the viewer to different interactive pages.
Designer Riccardo Hernandez created an encouragingly simple but scenic unit set, framed, at times, in neon, and strategically lit by Jennifer Tipton.
He dubbed the neon, color-blocked sport-chic looks "Surf Jackie."
More than 20 flat screens showered in neon green lights blanketed Ciudad, as a handful of journalists got their hands on 5-on-5 multiplayer and new mode Horde.
There are a bunch of dancer chicks in neon bikinis and a few hobo-chic hipster rappers.
The star and flower shapes are paper; I have stenciled the star pattern onto the flower shape and stamped one of the shapes I used on the background onto the star, but this time in neon pink, just for a spot of brightness.
“Zombie Repellent” in neon green with a shotgun silhouette on the front of a black 100% cotton shirt.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.