American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a hospital.
- adj. Of or being a secondary disorder associated with being treated in a hospital but unrelated to the patient's primary condition: a nosocomial infection.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to a hospital: as, a nosocomial fever. See fever.
- adj. of, relating to, happening in a hospital
- adj. of a disease or infection contracted in a hospital, or arising from hospital treatment
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a hospital.
- adj. Acquired in a hospital.
- adj. taking place or originating in a hospital
- From New Latin nosocomi ("hospital"), from Ancient Greek νοσοκομείον (nosokomeion, "hospital"), from νόσος (nosos, "disease, illness") + κομέω (komēo, "to take care of"). (Wiktionary)
- From Late Latin nosocomi(um), hospital (ultimately from Greek nosos, disease + komein, to take care of) + -al. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Hospital-acquired infections are called nosocomial infections.”
“Diarrhea: need for cultures in nosocomial diarrhea”
“Diarrhea - need for cultures in nosocomial diarrhea”
“I realized I should have specified that the Community Acquired MRSA is actually more virulent than the ones you can get from hospitals which are classified as nosocomial infections.”
“Together, the two hospital-acquired infections - also called nosocomial infections - account for about one-third of the 1.7 million infections US patients pick up every year while in hospital, the study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine shows.”
“Together, the two hospital-acquired infections -- also called nosocomial infections -- account for about one-third of the 1.7 million infections US patients pick up every year while in hospital, the study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine shows.”
“Together, the two hospital-acquired infections - also called nosocomial infections - account for about one-third of the 1.7 million infections US patients pick up every year while in hospital, the study published in the”
“Hospital acquired infections (HAIs), also called nosocomial infections to better describe the range of places they can occur, have become a major health concern.”
“If so, they are called nosocomial infections, and such infections are not limited to resistant strains of bacteria.”
“Staff who fail to properly wash their hands are often to blame for these so-called nosocomial infections.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nosocomial’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Juicy words for the intermediate and advanced speller
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
My Favorite Words
how many words can I make mine this summer?
Listed various words that have come into my mind. Will edit them at some point - honestly.
dog-gold, shoulderlooker, mr. considering, the pigwoman, stevie is waiting, chingwybodganpwy, thelandscapeisstu..., couchsurfing, cappuccinodrinking, meat-eater, posher, mae rhaid i fi fynd and 581 more...
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Words that will probably only come in handy for the GRE or whatnot.
What happens when you put a (former) English major at a bioinformatics and bioengineering summer institute? A list of wacky bio-words, of course!
Word of the Day by Kevin, fREW, and Wes
Looking for tweets for nosocomial.