American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Informal Other. Usually used in the phrase a whole nother, as in the sentence That's a whole nother story.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as neither.
- pro. Caribbean Neither.
- adj. Caribbean Neither.
- adv. obsolete Nor.
- pro. obsolete Another.
- adj. Different, other. (Now usually in a whole nother)
GNU Webster's 1913
- conj. obsolete Neither; nor.
- adj. Other; -- variant spelling used mostly in the phrase a whole nother (i. e., a completely different), as though formed by splitting the word “another”.
- Variant of other, showing metanalysis. (Wiktionary)
- From alteration of another (interpreted as a nother). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Cause I should expect you'd give me somethin 'nother and make a great man of me!”
“But he presently heard the door of the locked room open, a man's voice, slightly elevated by liquor and opposition, saying, "I know what's due from one gen'leman to 'nother" -- a querulous, objecting voice saying,”
“To the ranter who whines about people saying" nother "- learn the difference between”
“However, even though you would probably not like to acknowledge it, we have a whole "nother" half of our state to the east.”
“Then there's the issue of bands who were one-hit wonders in the U.S. (or two-hit wonders) but are known on a whole nother level ( "nother" should be a world) in the UK.”
“Thursday, April 12, 2001 x 2 - Key word here is 'nother”
“He was great source of worriment to my Mammy, ole lady Lucy Price and 'nother 'oman, ole lady Lucy Charles.”
“He shall pay that cent one way or 'nother 'fore he gets through.”
“Don't eat with yer fingers -- don't grab no vittles off one 'nother's plates; don't reach out for nothin', but wait till yer asked, 'n' if you never _git_ asked don't git up and grab it.”
“Don't eat with yer fingers -- don't grab no vittles off one 'nother's plates; don't reach out for nothin', but wait till yer asked, 'n if yer never git asked don't git up and grab it -- don't spill nothin' on the table cloth, or like's not Mis 'Bird' ll send yer away from the table.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nother’.
Ever play "Words With Friends" with someone and they throw down some strange, unlikely group of letters that makes even the most mild and squeaky clean tongued person say "whiskey tango foxtrot"? ...
Anything with to do with the word "other," or any sort of otherness (including words with the letters o-t-h-e-r, in that order, in their definitions).
misspellings i like
Looking for tweets for nother.