from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that is first in rank, order, or importance.
- n. Slang One's own interests; oneself: watching out for number one.
- n. Informal The act of urinating.
- n. Informal Urine.
- adj. First in rank, order, or importance: the number one team in the nation; our number one problem.
- adj. Foremost in quality; first-rate: bought some number one farmland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. First; foremost; best.
- n. the most important person, the one who is in charge
- n. someone who is top of a ranking, who is ranked first.
- n. oneself, being considered foremost, as by an egoist
- n. Urine; urination.
- n. the single that has sold the most in a given period.
- n. The main goalkeeper of a team, so-called because they wear the number 1 on the back of their kit.
- n. The batsman who opens the batting.
- n. Used other than as an idiom: see number, one.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reference to yourself or myself etc.; `take care of number one' means to put your own interests first
- n. the first element in a countable series
- n. the first or highest in an ordering or series
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.