from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Rigid adherence to official regulations, forms, and procedures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rigid, perfunctory and literal adherence to official duties and regulations
- n. Officials collectively
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being official; a system of official government; also, adherence to office routine; red-tapism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Official position; office-holding; public office.
- n. An official system.
- n. That view of official position which regards office, and the mere discharge of official duty, without reference to public or other interests, as all-important; excessive attention to official routine and office detail; official strictness or stiffness; “red-tapeism.”
- n. Perfunctoriness.
Sorry, no etymologies found.