from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the state of being opalescent
- n. the milky iridescent appearance of a dense transparent medium when it is illuminated by polychromatic visible radiation (such as sunlight) due to local fluctuations in its density and therefore in its refractive index
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A reflection of a milky or pearly light from the interior of a mineral, as in the moonstone; the state or quality of being opalescent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being opalescent; iridescence like that of the opal; a play of colors milky rather than brilliant; the property of exhibiting such a play of color.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the visual property of something having a milky brightness and a play of colors from the surface
Sorry, no etymologies found.