from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or resembling sapphire.
- n. A rare light blue or green aluminum-magnesium silicate mineral.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rare silicate of magnesium and aluminium (with iron as a major impurity), named for its sapphirelike colour.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or resembling sapphire
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Resembling sapphire; made of sapphire; having the color, or any quality of sapphire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made of sapphire.
- Having the qualities of sapphire, especially the color. Compare sapphire, a.
- n. A blue variety of spinel.
- n. A pale-blue or greenish mineral occurring in disseminated grains with mica and anthophyllite in Greenland: it is a highly basic silicate of aluminium and magnesium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a rare light blue or green mineral; consists of aluminum and magnesium silicate and occurs as small grains in some metamorphic rocks
- adj. made of or resembling sapphire
sapphire + -ine (Wiktionary)