American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or resembling sapphire.
- n. A rare light blue or green aluminum-magnesium silicate mineral.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made of sapphire.
- Having the qualities of sapphire, especially the color. Compare sapphire, a.
- n. A blue variety of spinel.
- n. A pale-blue or greenish mineral occurring in disseminated grains with mica and anthophyllite in Greenland: it is a highly basic silicate of aluminium and magnesium.
- n. mineralogy A rare silicate of magnesium and aluminium (with iron as a major impurity), named for its sapphirelike colour.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or resembling sapphire
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Resembling sapphire; made of sapphire; having the color, or any quality of sapphire.
- n. a rare light blue or green mineral; consists of aluminum and magnesium silicate and occurs as small grains in some metamorphic rocks
- adj. made of or resembling sapphire
- sapphire + -ine (Wiktionary)
“Straight of spine and sapphirine of eye, Barr appeared poised, intelligent, and master of a certain smile.”
“He flashes out emeralds and rubies, amethystine flames and sapphirine colours, in”
“His sapphirine-blue eyes, the cleft, or dimple, in his strong chin, his thick sable hair, and muscular but symmetrical frame are additional attractions to me and, I regret to say, to innumerable other females.”
“There were moments amid the deepening darkness when it seemed virtually impossible to reach the summit; the stars now lighted a glowing sapphirine sky, but that only made the venerable town in all its majesty seem ever more unattainable.”
“He dared a glance at the Power's face, and was caught again, a moth in sapphirine flame.”
“: Tantris pranced and arched his neck, and one of his sapphirine eyes flashed a teasing look up at his Chosen.”
“Dirk looked into Rolan's glowing eyes-and they were glowing, a sapphirine light brighter than the starshine.”
“Before him, on the marble pave, lay the thin golden mask with the huge sapphirine gem set in it to represent the third eye.”
“Whatever there was in the bit of sapphirine blue, it had life.”
“It was a day of opal lights, a day set in a heaven of gold and turquoise and bathed in sapphirine airs; one of those rare and perfect days that happen only in desert countries, where Nature seems sometimes to repent of her own pitilessness and by the glory of her skies seems trying to compensate for the desolation of the lands that stretch beneath them.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sapphirine’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words I find personally pleasing either in letter arrangement, sound, or meaning.
Looking for tweets for sapphirine.