from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A water ouzel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The (European) blackbird, Turdus merula.
- n. An aquatic perching bird of the genus Cinclus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as ousel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The blackbird, Merula merula, Turdus merula, or Merula vulgaris, a kind of thrush. Also called amzel. See cut under blackbird.
- n. Some other thrush or thrush-like bird, as the ring-ouzel, Turdus torquatus or Merula torquata. See cut in next column.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common black European thrush
Middle English osel, from Old English ōsle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old English ōsle, from Proto-Germanic. Cognate with German Amsel. (Wiktionary)