from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A translucent to transparent milky or grayish quartz with distinctive microscopic crystals arranged in slender fibers in parallel bands.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of fine-grained quartz that is nearly transparent or has a milky translucence; it fractures conchoidally.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cryptocrystalline, translucent variety of quartz, having usually a whitish color, and a luster nearly like wax.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cryptocrystalline variety of quartz, resembling in color milk diluted with water, and more or less clouded or opaque with veins, circles, or spots.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a milky or greyish translucent to transparent quartz
Late Latin chalcēdonius, from Greek khalkēdōn, a mystical stone (Revelation 21:19), perhaps from Khalkēdōn, Chalcedon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)